Integrative Care - The Heart of Mind-Body Medicine
Hypnotherapy to Support Medicine and Dentistry - The Essential Component in Integrative Care is Mind-Body Medicine.
Medical support hypnotherapists have specialized training and certification in accelerated healing and pain control and are at the heart of mind-body medicine. They are skillful with implementing hypnotherapeutic techniques for both psychoneuroimmulogical and psychoneuro-physiological applications. Medical support hypnotherapy is a fabulous adjunct to medical or dental treatment. They conduct private and group sessions, and teach self-hypnosis methods as a means of self-care and empowerment. An on-site medical support hypnosis session can be conducted in as little as ten minutes and can significantly reduce anxiousness, pain and improve post-procedural outcomes as well as patient compliance. Sessions can be conducted in a physician’s or dentist’s office, or at the hypnotherapist’s office. Depending upon the patient’s needs, sessions can go as long as an hour or hour and a half.
Lisa Smole is a Fellow of the International Board of Hypnotherapy (IBH). This letter from the IBH outlines Lisa Smole's certification as a clinical medical support hypnotherapist. In the United States, the practice of hypnotherapy is not regulated at the federal level, and requirements vary from state to state. IBH certification requires a minimum of 400 classroom hours, followed by written and practical exams, as well as continuing education requirements and accountability to a strict code of ethics and scope of practice guidelines. Many medical support or clinical hypnotherapists are not qualified to be certified by the IBH. The IBH’s rigorous certification requirements assure that consumers, health and counseling agencies, clinics and hospitals can be assured they are engaging a highly qualified practitioner when they work with an IBH Fellow such as Lisa Smole. See InternationalBoardofHypnotherapy.com for more information on Level 3 Certified Medical Support Clinical Hypnotherapists.
Are you a medical or dental professional seeking to speak to a fellow physician about medical support hypnotherapy? If so, a Physician-to-Physician consultation is a good way to address any of your questions.
As an adjunct to medical & dental treatment, hypnotherapy offers:
· Non-pharmaceutical means of pain management for arthritis, post-operative pain control, etc. Pain perception is reduced or eliminated.
· IV starts and needle phobias.
· Reduction of claustrophobic feelings during MRI and CAT scan.
· Burn care from radiation treatment for cancer care.
· Stress reduction.
· Normalization of digestion for IBS.
· Accelerates the natural healing process. Parasympathetic system (relaxation) is activated to enhance the body’s natural healing abilities.
· Augments the use of supplements, herbs, etc.
· Improvement of symptoms.
· Regaining normal sleep patterns.
· Pre-sedation calming and potentiation.
· Preventative medicine.
· Decreased demand on the medical system.
· Increases patient satisfaction and patient compliance with Dr recommendations.
· Considers the unique needs of each patient/person.
· Attention to the underlying psycho-emotional needs of the patient/person and addresses history of trauma or adverse experiences.
· Emotional support and personal growth.
· Patients/people feel empowered to take an active role in their healing process.
· Improvement in outlook on treatment enhances a successful outcome.
· Less pain, less anxiousness and stress, fewer pain medications and analgesics – people leave the hospital sooner and heal faster!
Scientific Basis for Medical Support Hypnotherapy
National Institutes of Health (NIH), in conjunction with the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), used Integral Hypnotherapy™ Methodology from The Hypnotherapy Academy for their groundbreaking scientific research of mind-body healing.
Lisa Smole trained at The Hypnotherapy Academy in Integral Hypnotherapy™ and utilizes the official Overactive Bladder Syndrome(OBS)/Urinary Urgency Incontinence eight-session manual based on the peer-reviewed NIH study. The 4-year, 3-million dollar study funded by the NIH and conducted at the University of New Mexico Hospital with 162 patients was a “non-inferiority” design and set out to show that hypnotherapy is not inferior to pharmaceutical/drug therapy in the treatment of Overactive Bladder (OAB)/Urinary Urgency Incontinence. The study was positive and successfully showed that patients in the hypnotherapy group had the same results as patients in the drug group, and those who were moderately to highly responsive to hypnosis had superior results to the drug therapy group. Further details on this study are here, and a few other studies on medical support hypnotherapy are here.
Disclaimer & Education: In no way are Align Within’s or Lisa Smole’s services to be interpreted as providing medical, dental or psychiatric services. Hypnotherapy services are not offered as a replacement for counseling, psychotherapy, psychiatric or medical or dental treatment. No service or product provided is intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness or condition. Hypnotherapy is an educational process that facilitates access to a persons’ internal resources to assist them in solving problems, reducing pain, resolving emotional conflicts, enhancing communications, increasing motivation, or altering behavior patterns to create positive change. Hypnotherapy education is classified by the United States Department of Education under Human Services in the Health and Human Services Division of the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP). The CIP identification number for professional hypnotherapy is 51.3603 and falls under “Mind-Body Therapies and Education.” The United States Department of Labors’ Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT) identification number for professional “Hypnotherapist” is 079.157.010.